Guest User

hi. While I have been using the JENNIFER to run web system, I noticed an error. Hope you could give any advice on profiling. Whenever I frequently asked for request under the Internet Explorer 8.0, all of sudden the screen just stopped. The request is completed once it reached the WAS to access timeout. I tracked the problem through profile_class by applying related request class. I could not get any response time, but gap time only. Please refer to the attached file on the history of profile and active service. It would be much helpful if you could explain what caused the problem. Thanks for your support.

Khalid Saeed

The actual data exists on the request header, but only some of the data has been transferred. And you see the timeout. When you look at the status of apprun, ajp (web server) is in standby mode to receive the data.